A Family is a Gift That Lasts Forever...

A Family is a Gift That Lasts Forever...

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Timmmmbbberrrrrr...

Whenever I am in Kendallville, Indiana I happen to have brand new experiences of which I never thought I would have. Well this particular day, I had 3 new experiences that a city girl from California never would think of!! First, Nate's dad found some wild mushrooms growing out in his land. They were mushrooms of a shape I have never seen before in my life. I think they were called sponge mushrooms or something like that and they looked like sea sponges that grow in the tide pools of Monterey Bay, California. Well he picked a bunch of them and fried them up on the stove for dinner. I have to say, they were actually quite yummy. I thought they sort of tasted like fried calamari, but that was just me.
Later that day, Nate's dad came to tell me that he found a swarm of bees. When I think of a swarm of bees, I think of Winnie the Pooh and bees following him. So I honestly didn't really know what to think of. So he shows me the swarm, and again, it is something I have never before seen!! Hundreds and hundreds of bees crawling on top of each other and completely covering one of his bushes. For some reason, they chose that bush, the Queen was there somewhere, so all those bees just decided to land there in a big pile! It was so crazy! I have never seen more bees at one time in my life!! So Nate's dad wanted to capture the bees. He got one of his beehive boxes down and set it down next to the bush. He shook the bush a little and shoved some bees into the box where they found some honeycomb. And then one by one the bees started to march off the bush into the box. It was an act of nature that was something I had never before seen! Pretty amazing. Several hours later, every bee had left the bush and was in the box. But by morning, they had decided they didn't like the box and they all left!!
My 3rd experience of the day: Nate's dad is remodeling his barn. He needed a tree cut down that would be in the way of the barn. So he got Nate all dressed up in his work coveralls and had him climb up this super tall tree and chainsaw it down. No, I have never seen a tree be cut down before, let alone have my hubby all the way at the top of it!!! So the boys and I and Grandma watched him cut down the tree and saw it crack and fall! Pretty cool! The boys thought it was awesome!! Thanks for all the fun exciting experiences in Kendallville!!




No comments: