A Family is a Gift That Lasts Forever...

A Family is a Gift That Lasts Forever...

Sunday, November 1, 2020

El Dia de Los Muertos

 El Dia de Los Muertos, the Day of the Dead, is also a part of Halloween.  Our family enjoys the movie Coco which is surrounding this theme.  So because of Halloween, the kids suggested we create our own afrenda to place photos of our ancestors.  I have a deep appreciation for my ancestors and those who came before me.  There is so much to learn from them and so much to be grateful for the road they paved for us.  On our afrenda we placed photos of Alma Joseph Riding, my maternal grandfather who passed before I was born.  We put a photo of Royce & Leonard Hutchinson, my paternal grandparents who passed several years ago in California.  I could not locate a photo of my mom's mom, my grandma who I loved so much, Thelma Riding; though she was in my mind.  The kids hardly knew these great people.  

We also placed a photo of Nate's grandma, Martha Routsong, who had just recently passed away.  The kids attended the funeral with us and her passing was on all of our minds.  This is what spurred the idea for an afrenda.  Lastly on our afrenda was a beautiful photo of Becky, my sister, who passed about a year an a half ago.  We went to her services in Utah and the kids are familiar with Becky.  I was so glad to have an afrenda to honor these great individuals that we are connected to.  We do not know exactly where they are, but hope that they have peace and know of our love for each of them.  




No comments: