A Family is a Gift That Lasts Forever...

A Family is a Gift That Lasts Forever...

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chapter Books

We were at the library and Jaxton was gathering library books to take home. He had a stack of juniors chapter books like Goosebumps in his hands. He really wanted to read "big kid books." So I looked through all the juniors chapter books section to find a book that he may be able to follow and I found this one called "Stanley." It was pretty simple reading with black and white pictures on every other page. As we were checking out, the librarian asked, "Is that for him?" I said it was. She said, "Can he follow that type of book?" I responded, "We will find out!" She was impressed that he wanted to read a chapter book! Actually, I was too! So we began reading a couple chapters each day. It was a book about a boy named Stanley who was able to take his whole family in a spaceship to another planet. They met some aliens from the other planet who were tiny little people who lived in a tiny little city. They were having problems with food production on their planet and called earth for help. So Stanley decided to bring all the little people back to earth until their planet could produce food again. They built a tiny little city on earth to accomodate the little people. Well, Jaxton loved it. I had to tweak some sentences, but he did follow it. One day, I came up to get him from his quiet time after about an hour and this is what I found. He told me he had built the little people's city from his "Stanley" book. I was so impressed! Not only did he follow the book, he created his interpretation of their tiny village. My 3 almost 4 year old continues to amaze me!

No comments: