A Family is a Gift That Lasts Forever...

A Family is a Gift That Lasts Forever...

Friday, April 3, 2015

Allergic to Eggs




We fed Baby Nathan puréed eggs since we were having a breakfast scrambled egg dinner.  He took 2 small bites and obviously didn't like them.  He was spitting them out and wiping the eggs all over his face.  So I got a wet towel to clean off his egg covered face and ears.  I made up some oatmeal for him instead. When I brought the oatmeal over I noticed his bright red chin.  I hadn't wiped his face that hard to make a mark like that.  And I then noticed that almost everywhere those eggs had been smeared on his face was turning bright red.  His little ears were even turning red too.  Pretty soon, the redness got puffy.  His ears were "big" and swollen.  His nose and upper lip were enlarging, puffy and red. He was itching his eyes.  He was even sneezing a lot.  His little face looked like a different kid.  I called the nurse practitioner on call and she reassured me that this is common with eggs, that benedryl would help, but it would go away slowly.  So Nate went to the store to pick up some childrens benedryl since of course I couldn't find any in the house when I actually needed it.  His swelling did slow down, he got so sleepy and slept well all night.  But it was definitely a scare.  I'm so glad my little one is ok.  No more eggs for him!

No comments: